Saturday, July 28, 2012

A New Journey


 “Many small people, in many small places, do many small things, that can alter the face of the world.”
- Anonymous



I have been reflecting on how insanely lucky I am to have a beautiful family, support from them and friends, a roof over my head and food on the table.  These reflections have taken my thoughts back to my time in college. I attended college in a small city and have seen numerous people who were homeless and have had some very enlightening and enjoyable conversations with them. Hearing some of their stories, you realize how quickly and easily you could find yourself in their situation. I remember seeing these people in the winter sleeping on cardboard or cold benches and doing everything they could to stay warm. I don’t have much to give but would like to do what I am able to make this winter more bearable. I have been brainstorming and this is what I have come up with.

Lately I have been saving all of our old worn and stained clothes for future projects, I hate throwing away things that can be repurposed. I have decided that the old sweaters can be turned into mittens and old t-shirts and blankets can be sewn into sleeping pads. Being really ambitious, I would also like to collect items such as backpacks, non perishable snacks, McDonalds or Subway gift cards, and personal care products.

To achieve this, I am gathering my friends to help. I won’t be able to reach as many people alone. After collecting more materials I will post instructions on making mittens and sleeping pads. I have never done it before but will find a way to make it work. Hopefully this journey will inspire others to lend a hand to those less fortunate.  If so, please share your stories!!


“Every day you have the opportunity to learn and experience some-thing and some-one new. Seize the opportunity. Learn and experience everything you can, and use it to change the world.”
- Rodney Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment